Can you really get a website for your business within your budget?
Yes, you can!
There are four critical steps to creating your fabulous, functional website:
- Get hosting-> You can check our hosting plan and choose the perfect one.
- Select a domain name
- Choose a Content Management System (CMS)
- Customize your theme
That’s it! It’s that simple. You need to do the first steps to get to the fun bit (Step 4), but they are quick and easy.
- Get Hosting
Web hosting may cost you $2-$20 a month: there are lots of great packages out there which are incredibly useful because they combine lots of important functions into one (hosting, domain name, email accounts, site builder, WordPress install and great customer support). A great example is pleasedhost where you can register a domain name and set up your website.
- Choose a Domain Name
Ok, so you’ve sorted out hosting. Now, you need to figure out the identity of your site! The name needs to be memorable, original, and punchy. A good way to find the best name for you and your brand is to list keywords that apply to your website. Play around with the list, and a domain name will emerge! A few things to consider:
- Try to aim for a Dot-com domain. They are the most valuable, especially if you are creating a brand, and you want to reach a wider global audience. There are a lot of ‘novelty’ extensions now, and although they might seem fun and catchy, you can’t beat the more prominent and easy-to-find .com extension.
- If it’s a business site, use your company name.
- Go for something simple – you want people to be able to find you quickly. An obscure name that’s difficult to spell won’t do you any good.
- Choose something that will stick- people should be able to remember you, and your SEO will be higher if your name is catchy.
- Short is sweet!
- Confirm that you aren’t pinching someone else’s name by searching it at copyright.gov.
- Avoid numbers or hyphens. They won’t do you or your brand any favors.
- You need to believe in your domain name – it’s the most essential part of your website’s identity, and it’s the hook that’s going to reel in visitors. Give it some proper thought!
- Choose a Content Management System
This step is critical. But what does it all mean?
Essentially, a platform enables you to build a website without needing to understand HTML, CSS or any other programming language. It provides you with all the tools you need to create and then manage your online presence without requiring you to have professional code or design skills. It’s known as a Content Management System (CMS).
You need to select a CMS that is appropriate for the type of website you are creating: if you pick one that doesn’t fit, you will run into difficulties further down the line. There are many CMS to choose from, and once you select the best one for you, it’s straightforward to build your website but take a bit of time to select the right one.
Some CMS do require a certain level of knowledge about coding languages such as HTML/CSS, but for novice web builders, there are more straightforward (but still useful) platforms out there. Some of the most popular platforms currently are WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.
WordPress is the most widely used, and here’s why:
- It’s perfect for beginners – if you are a dab hand at simple Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, or Word, you can handle this.
- It’s fun and easy to customize according to your website’s particular character and specifications. Before you know it, you’ll be adding free plugins to your site, from image galleries to subscription forms, blogs and more.
- It’s very reliable; it can handle the busiest of websites. Whether you are creating a simple blog, or a business or e-commerce site, WordPress is compatible for any purpose. Did you know that eBay, NASA, and CNN all use WordPress?
- It offers mobile-friendly themes, which is essential as users expect to be able to access sites on their phones.
- With WordPress, you have access to support and advice from a friendly community of developers, and there are several free resources on Youtube and in their support forums.
- It’s FREE!
- The Fun Part – Making Your Website Look Amazing!
WordPress will present you with a standard, simple theme. A theme is a set of files that alter how your site looks to a user. The theme you choose will come with a particular design, font, color scheme, selection of widgets, and a specific layout and style. All necessary options are clean, sleek and straightforward, but the WordPress developers have created thousands of other designs, and you will want to find the perfect one for your site.
You need to get to know your Dashboard – it’s your control tower for everything you do, and although it may look complicated it’s simple to navigate and will help achieve what you need.